Saturday, March 20, 2010

Coffee Houses, Laundromats, People and Peace

There is a reason why we spend about $3 to get a hot cup of cappuccino; be it at one of the omnipresent SB stores or the local coffee shop. I have studied for exams in crowded coffee shops, planned my lectures and even graded papers. All with great ease and no stress what so ever. I always wondered how I was able to find peace in the entire din that existed. But somehow it has always worked. So I have had no reason to complain. However recently in an attempt to regularize sleeping patterns and also due to some budgetary constraints I have been trying to avoid coffee shops. Of course I do miss the wonderful smell of roasted coffee beans, the jazz music in the background, Aaron: who knows exactly how I have my coffee, the random discussions with Sarah and a lot more. However the most important thing I miss is peace. It sounds so trite. But, I somehow seem to discover peace and stability when I interact with people. That is exactly where coffee shops come in. Coffee shops are wonderful places to meet people from diverse backgrounds. And so are Laundromats. The attendant at the local Laundromat was the one who made me realize it. As I was waiting for my clothes to dry, I started a conversation with her.We talked about India, US, Education, Careers, Science, Economy. Things important to me. Ideas about them which made the world as it is today. We were later joined by a lady in her late thirties or early forties. This discussion kind of made me realize a few things in life. I also ended up telling one of my friends the recipe for happiness. And happiness is a symptom of peace. In order to find peace, we need not close our eyes and meditate below holy trees or hide ourselves in deep caves in an attempt to drown the persistent cacophony, which is a trademark of the modern world. We just need to look into the human mirrors around us. Being conscious about the present moment, keeping our minds open and ready to let the energy flow in, coffee houses and Laundromats can lead you to people and peace. Bear in mind that society is a complex system which conspires in some secret way to make us happy in the presence of others. Be a part of it. Find Peace!

No comments: