Sunday, March 15, 2009

Conversations

With myself:
Do you realise that it is only after a period of chaos that we actually come to appreciate stilness;of quiet; of unperturbed happiness?That,we realise a childish happiness that we seldom see these days.Something that the “infamous five women on the couch” cannot put a finger on!Do you realise that carnatic music and coffee can just as well set things right.That faith is very important.That there is GOD masquerading as friends. That the message in “Sex and Breakfast” is right.

LD has been one of my anchors in my life at UK. Our relationship was never defined.I belive that it would never have to be. In one of the few chats that I have on my way to the coffee shop to grade or work on some theoretical physics problem (Yes,like most of the writers,I get quite a lot done in external chaos),we had a discussion about what we we would do if we were marooned on an island. An added clause: Not for ever,but,say, a couple of years . Maybe a few months ago,I would have said “May be spend time on the island with a beautiful carnatic singer(Ofcourse, it has to be a woman!)”
But recently I have had an almost religious conversion.I do not mean that associated with GOD.But rather embracing my old friend:Condensed Matter Physics.And when you are actually taught by two all time greats: JPS and GM;you just dont miss it. Ofcourse there were well prepared graduate students who are actual theorists,unlike a half baked one like me. These people along with GM and JPS made me realise what I actually wanted out of life.To understand nature and teach young people to do the same.Under the mentorship of JPS,I seem to be doing a good job on the second one.But about the first task,I realise I need to train myself more and more. Well coming to the point as to with whom would I spend couple of years marooned on an Island:It has to be GM. He is the only graduate teacher who teaches without any notes for a complete 75 minutes. Everything perfect,knowledge just seemed to flow.Imagine being his only student for a full two years! It would be like learning the secret chants from Brihaspathi himself!(I sometimes wonder if Sukracharyar was smarter than Brihaspathi) When I told this to LD,she burst out laughing!

AG and me have spent almost every weekend together for the last couple of years:whether it be shopping at Kroger,the Indian supermarket or just watching a movie.He is one of the few intellectuals I get to hang out with.We talk about a range of topics from spiritualism to GOD to religion to markets to Intelligence.AG has this view that there are only a few intelligent people on this planet.He says them have an inherent intelligence. I beg to differ. I believe an early start, proper guidance and accessibilty to tools can make one reach the same level when all the efforts are focused along that particular direction. GM says the same.I believe it.

No comments: